Accountability is a bit of a buzz word. I find a lot of people talking about it but not many actually providing it.
What does it mean?
I referenced the trusty dictionary and found this:
The state of being accountable, an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions.
So why do we need this? As business owners we don't have bosses holding us accountable to getting our job done. Often, entrepreneurs are looking for other ways of being held accountable for doing what we say we will.
Why do we need this?
- We change our minds and shift direction a lot - leaving many projects unfinished. We have so many ideas we often jump from one idea to the next before following through on the first idea.
- We have resistance. Often we want to do something be we are held back by fears or insecurities
- We fall into the trap of working in the weeds rather than working on the big projects that will move us forward. It takes extra effort to work on the things that really move the business forward.
How do we find accountability?
There are many ways people try to find this; accountability buddy, a coach or a group.
The issue that I find is that people often say there will be accountably but there isn't.
Be wary of false promises of "accountability."
With true accountability there are four things:
1) Clearly documenting the expectation / to do
2) Sharing it with the person/group holding you accountable
3) Following up in the stated time frame
4) If it wasn't done - FINDING OUT WHY
If any of these components are not involved, there isn't true accountability.
With true accountability you will get so much more done!! Stop watching weeks pass you by without working on the things that move your business forward.
If you've ever felt like you have trouble sticking to your plan and wish someone would really support you to achieve your goals, you need to find someone to provide you with true accountability.
Don't hesitate to reach out and learn more about how I can provide true accountability to you. Schedule a call here.